Monday, April 18, 2011

Let's Start at the Very Beginning...

It's a very good place to start.

I have recently made the decision to take control of the one thing in my life that I have not been able to get in control of.  Ever.  My weight has been the bane to my existence for as long as I can remember.  I recall struggling with my weight as far back as the 6th grade.  School pictures revealed to me for the first time that my weight was ballooning. 
I could blame it on my parents separation, but really that would just be an assumption on my part.  I have no idea why I gained weight.  It could be genetics.  My mother and her siblings have all had weight struggles so why should I be different? 

I have battled endlessly with my weight in the past years.  Dieting, exercising, failing...  A recent trip to my doctor has opened up the discussion to weight loss surgery.  My doctor simply asked "have you considered one of the banding procedures?".  It was the first time that I had a conversation out loud about this.  It was like it was suddenly ok to talk about something I had mulled about and wrestled with for years.  I never had the courage to ask about surgery, because then I would have to admit, not only to my doctor, but to myself, that I am obese.  And not just obese, but morbidly obese.  At 5'4" tall, I weigh 284 lbs.  This is my starting point.  I have 8 weeks till my consultation on June 13, 2011.  I have begun to do research, and will share my findings, my journey and hopefully my successes in this process.  I know that there will also be struggles along the way.  I'll be sure to share those as well.  So here goes nothing.  Tomorrow morning, 6am hour of power walk before work.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment