and a little something to compare it to...
Sunday, October 5, 2014
It's been some time since I last blogged. I have gotten caught up in life and complacency in my weightloss journey, and thus blogging has become less of a 'necessity'. Back in 2011 when I started my journey, I couldn't fathom going without journaling my progress. I needed to record each milestone and keep myself accountable. I wanted to be able to look back and see where I had come from, have a reminder of the pangs and triumphs, and the goals and accomplishments. There is even value in seeing the failures. I have lost 100+ pounds. I am not sure of my current weight. It is somewhere around 185. I don't get on the scale often. I wear about a size 12 on bottom, smaller than when I was in high school, and a size Medium-Large on top. I am comfortable in my own skin. I sometimes wish I was a little smaller, but I must not wish it that much or I would be doing more to achieve it. I could use to work out more, but currently I am working harder than I ever have. I love my job. I love my fiance, whom I should have married by now, but due to finances have not yet been able to. I have the goal of finishing my final six classes to get my degree by this time next year. I hope to be married and have a child. I hope to have advanced into a higher position in work. I hope to move my family to Minneapolis. It's funny that this post has quickly evolved into a sort of list of new year resolutions of sorts. Below is a picture of me trying on a dress (which I bought but haven't worn to work yet) just about a month or so ago. I didn't have my spanx on to smooth the bumps, but I felt pretty hot in this dress. (No it's not leopard print, just a brown and black knit fabric).
I am happy with how far I have come. I hope to have a baby (did I mention that already??) in the next year or so. I'm practicing really hard!! ;-) Things are moving in a positive direction. If I haven't heard from you in a while, drop me a comment and say hello! Feel free to email even. I would love to hear from my fellow bloggers/readers about how you're doing, good, bad or otherwise.
Sunday, May 4, 2014
I've been reading blogs again lately, but not writing as much as I used to. I have become somewhat complacent in my weightloss as of recent. I am down over 100 pounds and for the most part I feel pretty good! Then I got a glimpse of myself on film and realized that I still haven't quite made it to where I would like to be. Somehow having reached that 100 pound mark, I have fallen off the wagon. I really need to refocus and get back my act together. I haven't regained any weight since making my loss, but I have plateaued. I could use to lose about another 20-30 pounds. After 100 this seems like it would be a piece of cake, but it isn't. No longer having my clothes screaming for help, busting at the seams as motivation, I have become comfortable with average.
My surgery was in August 2013. I took a month off to heal and rest. I also needed a break from my job, and because of an extended leave benefit that my job offers, I was able to do so. Upon returning to work in September, I realized that I could no longer stand my job. I wanted out and I really didn't care what I had to do to do so, so long as I made the same or more money. Chance had it that a job I had applied for in the beginning of the summer had finally been posted and I could officially interview. Needless to say, I started the position in mid-October and have not slowed down since. Just as with my Lap-Band surgery, life got in the way of my focus, and I wasn't as in tuned with my mission as I would have liked to be. As many of you who have had surgery know, the momentum you have right after surgery, eventually slows, and though much progress has been made, that initial boom of excitement, enthusiasm, and dedication can be a little harder to stay in tuned with, especially when your goal isn't so very far away. I never really set a hard number as a goal. I wonder if maybe that is part of the problem. I may need that hard number to strive for. Previously I had just wanted to get below 200, then I wanted to lose 100 total pounds. Both of those milestones have been met. Now I have no hard goal. Maybe I need to change that. Today is May 4th (Happy StarWars Day! May the 4th be with you!). I am going to set the goal for 10 pounds by July 4th. Two months, ten pounds. That is a healthy rate of loss, and not overly ambitious. Feel free to leave some thoughts if you have any. I haven't heard from or communicated with many of you in a long time and would love to hear from you!
How's about a recent photo too, to show a little progress!
Sunday, September 29, 2013
Back in the day there were all these great BOOBS group challenges. Well to be frank, I miss those days! I know not everyone is blogging the way they used to, but are y'all still reading out there?? Can we maybe set up a group challenge again? Please comment if you'd be interested in joining a challenge, or administering one (I could give it a try, but I know some people have already done it and may find it a little easier than me). Let me know. I'm missing the community of the BOOBS. Though I'm not banded any longer, that doesn't mean that I need our community any less. Where you at ladies??
Tomorrow is my 8 week mark post-revision to the sleeve. I am still chugging along. They say, slow and steady wins the race right? (I keep telling myself that hoping I'll believe it one of these times) Things are progressing, albeit slow. I've been about 210 for a little bit now. I admit, I haven't planned nearly as much as I should lately. I KNOW that I do better when I plan, but that hasn't been the case much. I have some non-scale victories to report though! My mom is super sweet and the cutest thing ever. She sent me $100 to get a few new items to wear to my new job (I'll get to that in a minute...). In NYC, $100 doesn't usually go very far, so I took my ass to Target and hit the mark down racks, then to Old Navy and hit up whatever sales were going on. Here is me 8-weeks post op, taking a pic to send to my mom to prove I was buying clothes with her money and not making student loan payments:
Now here is my victory. I am wearing size 16 pants in this pic (don't mind the crazy hair day I'm having, I think I used a fork for a comb or something), and the pants are actually a little too big! Not only that, both the top and the sweater are size large and fit just fine! NO XL's or XXL's here!! That's a first! I don't know how long it's been since I was able to be totally out of the XL zone. I'm shrinking before my very own eyes! Even though the scale isn't screaming "you've made it to the 100's!" just yet, my body is whispering (...you're almost there!). I am committing in the very moment to go walking a minimum of 3 lunchtimes this week.
I mentioned a little while back that I was interviewing for a new position in my hospital where I work. Well I got the job!! Woot!! I gave my 2-week notice and will be starting my new position on October 14. I am very excited to move on to something more challenging. Of course this means tons more work, with not a huge pay increase, but I'm hoping that I will be able to prove myself important enough very soon to get a promotion that my new boss said we will have to get the compensation department to note and pay me accordingly. All in all this has been an excellent couple of weeks. I have been totally distracted from meal planning and school because of all this new job business, but I'm prepping to have a great fall season. Squash recipes await!
Thursday, September 19, 2013
- I'm NOT crazy (and neither are you Dawnya!). I spoke to the doc and nutritionist and both agree that I have been experiencing Dumping Syndrome on occasion. This is usually due to poor food/beverage choices. Funny thing is, I don't make them often, but when I make em, they're pretty bad and the symptoms SUCK ASS. At least now I know what the heck is going on. I had thought this only happens with bypass patients, but they assured me that it is now becoming evident that VSG patients also experience this too.
- Took a quiz in my Spanish class Monday. Had no idea about it since I took off class on 9/11, so I quickly learned all new material 10 min before class and still rocked an 88%!
- Saw my doc/nutritionist for my 6 week follow up as I mentioned before. I've lost 16 pounds since my surgery date. I was concerned with a recent stall but I am encouraged by my visit. I think all will be ok.
- Exercise needs priority. I need to get on this! Feel free to hold me accountable!
- I'm still waiting to hear the "official" news on the job I interviewed for. Seems like it's a Jewish holiday every other day this month. I'm on hold again. lol. Keep your fingers crossed. It's pretty official that I got the job, just all the kinks need to get worked out.
- I still really want to get a bike. Just a beach cruiser or something not too crazy difficult to manage. Anyone got an old one they want to donate to a fat girl, feel free to speak up! ;)
- The weekend is only 24 short hours away. I'm stoked.
- I got volunteered by my fiance to cook dinner for his family for Thanksgiving. This NYer is going to be cooking a big southern family a Thanksgiving dinner... IN ALABAMA. No pressure there! Not to mention, I'll probably not even have dinner, as we all know that just taking bites to test for seasoning etc will likely be enough to fill me up! Is it weird that I'm already planning and it's 2 months away?
- I miss my mama and want her to come visit, but I know it's expensive to fly and that she's saving to come to the wedding in Alabama next summer, so I feel bad even considering asking her to come. But I miss her.
- I'm excited to see the Harvest Moon tonight! The man and I are driving to a nice lookout point tonight at the very south end of Brooklyn to get a nice view.
Sunday, September 15, 2013
I'm nearly 6 weeks post-revision. I average about 700-800 calories a day. My weight hasn't budged in about 3-4 weeks. I am pretty frustrated. I have a follow up appt on Wednesday with my doctor and nutritionist. I'm hoping to get some recommendations because things should be moving along by now. I gotta say it's got me a little depressed. I'd be lying to say I'm not. I've planned much of my meals for the week. Lets hope to see some change soon.