Monday, September 2, 2013

4 Weeks Post Revision

I am 4 weeks out from surgery today. I need to take pics but my fiancĂ© has company and it's getting late so it looks like I'll take some tomorrow. I was dropping a bunch of weight in the beginning but things seem to have slowed significantly since the two week mark. I was losing a lot really quick then I went to Alabama for 9 days. I was hoping to see a nice loss after being away from the scale but to my surprise I was down only 1 pound. This past week I lost about 2 pounds. So basically I was dropping like gang busters the first two weeks and the second two weeks only lost about 3-3 1/2 pounds. I get in about 600-800 calories on a typical day. I admit my water intake hasn't been its best. I'm sure that has also been a contributing factor to the constipation I had too. Once that passed it was just the opposite. My tummy was upset and everything went right through me for about 3 days (sorry to be graphic). Today I had a decent day as far as eating goes. I think I did eat out of boredom a couple times though. I've been off work for a month and the anticipation of going back to work tomorrow definitely triggered some emotional eating. Not that I can eat large quantities but I did eat when I wasn't hungry. I hope going back to work and getting back on a regimen will get things back on track. 

There is one thing that I'd like to ask the sleevers out there if they're reading. I had an experience a couple times since surgery that I wonder if anyone else has had. After drinking an iced latte sweetened with some simple syrup (a very small amount, sorry I hate the taste of aspartame, so don't say sweet n low or I'll give you the stank eye!) I had what felt like a strange reaction. I got the cold sweats and felt very nauseated and weak. I am not sure if it was the coffee or the sugar or if I was having a blood sugar drop. It kind of made me think of the "dumping syndrome" that I read about in bypass patients. It felt miserable and wiped me out of commission for a couple hours before I felt ok again, oh and did I mention that I puked a little? Not a full on wretch (again sorry for the gory details) but I did bring up a bit of coffee. Maybe it was the milk?? I don't know what to make of it.  If anyone else has experienced something similar let me know.  And if so, any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Well that is my 4 week report.  On to full solids tomorrow. Easing into it.  Wish me luck. I'll be avoiding the coffee cart tomorrow though, that's for sure!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update! Glad you are still loosing - I think its normal for the rate of loss to slow after a while. Maybe you need to up the calories? I know if I eat less than 1000 cal I stall - my body goes into starvation mode and hangs on to the weight. Keep on keepin on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm tryin! I'll be getting active again this week, so hopefully that will help too.

      Delete
  2. There is no evidence that sleevers suffer from dumping, but I'm here to tell you it is real. Whenever I have something with to much sugar in it...I get sick. The cold sweats...the rapid heart rate. It ain't even worth it to me. I have allowed myself to have my favorite drink from starbucks twice a month. Other than that...my sweet tooth is usually calmed with fruit or a cookie.

    Don't stress about the weight. It will come off. Just get a routine going. Take your vitamins...and drink your fluids. You are going to lose slow because of the revision...but you will lose it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank goodness! It's not just me! I'm not crazy... well, that's still to be determined. Whenever I have anything with any major surgariness to it, I bottom out and feel miserable. Glad to know I'm not just making it up in my head. It's a good deterrent to stay away from sweets! Trying not to stress it. I already see me coming back to work as being a good thing. I'm wakling more and snacking less. Lets see how the rest of the week goes. Hope you are well!

      Delete